Standard or intensive study? A standard course is usually 3 hours morning-study only, Monday to Friday. (Some schools offer morning study one week followed by afternoon study the next). Intensive courses are usually 3 hours in the morning and a further 1.5 hours in the afternoon. You must study for at least 15 hours per week to be considered a full-time student in order to obtain a student visa. Schools offer better value courses for those who study more hours per week.
Can I take a mid-course break? If you are studying for 12 weeks or more Roots can organise for you to take a break from your studies to travel around Britain or Europe or return home for a short break. Some schools do not allow this and other schools require at least a month's notice.
Examinations? Most schools offer the Cambridge examinations, FCE, CAE or CPE. They are recognised worldwide by employers and schools and prove your English ability. British Universities often require a score from an IELTS exam to satisfy their entry requirements for overseas students. American Universities require scores from a TOEFL exam but TOEFL courses are rarely run in Cambridge schools. Exam courses are often combined with General English courses so, usually, you must enrol on an intensive course of 21 hours study or more.
© Roots Travel 2010